Rosacea Treatment in the Florida Keys
What are the early signs & symptoms of rosacea?
Rosacea, a common skin disorder that causes visible blood vessels and redness to appear on your face, can present differently for different people. Commonly, those who have rosacea notice one or more of the following rosacea symptoms:
- Redness in the face that does occurs often
- Redness in the center area of the face
- Visible swelling of small blood vessels in the face
- Small red bumps on the face, often resembling a pimple
- Pus-filled bumps on the face
- Heat or tenderness in the face
- Nose swelling
- Thick skin on or around the nose
In some cases, the first signs of rosacea appear on the eyes and eyelids. These early symptoms include:
- Dry eyes
- Itching eyes
- Swollen eyes
- Redness on top of the eyelids
- Eye irritation
What are some common rosacea triggers?
The cause for rosacea is currently not known, however, there are several known triggers for rosacea. These include:
- Spicy foods
- Living in a hot climate
- Certain makeups
- Blood pressure medications
- Hot drinks
In addition, there are several known risk factors that could increase a person’s chances of developing rosacea, including:
- Being over 30 years old
- Smoking cigarettes
- Being female
- Having family members who have rosacea
- Having fair skin
- Having sun-damaged skin
What is the best treatment for rosacea?
Treating rosacea is usually geared toward managing its signs and symptoms and controlling your flare-ups when they occur. Your physician may recommend one or more of the following rosacea treatments, depending on your skin type, the severity of rosacea, and your skin care goals:
- Prescription gel medications that are applied to the skin and can reduce swelling and redness in the face
- Topical creams to reduce pimples and redness over time
- Prescription antibiotic medications to help reduce facial inflammation
- Laser therapy for rosacea to reduce redness caused by swollen blood vessels in the face
What helps rosacea flare-ups?
Many patients at Keys Dermatology wonder how to stop rosacea flare-ups. In addition to treatment recommended by our skin doctors, there are some lifestyle changes you can make to help manage your rosacea flare-ups. These include:
- Gently massaging the face each day to help reduce the inflammation
- Avoiding certain triggers that you know tend to cause you to flare up
- Using nonsoap facial cleansers that work for your skin type
- Using green-tinted makeup created to help tone down redness in the face
- Wearing sunscreen every day to protect your face and avoid getting
What is the best skin care for rosacea?
Helpful Rosacea Skin Care Tips
- Moisturize your skin often and with a dermatologist-recommended facial lotion
- Use sunblock daily
- Avoid activities or products that dry your skin out
- Be gentle when touching your facial skin
- Use only cosmetics that you know do not trigger your rosacea
- Know what triggers your rosacea
- Avoid using hot water during showers (warm water is best)
- Protect your face as much as possible when exposed to sunlight
How long does a flare-up of rosacea last?
Rosacea flare-ups are different for every person and vary depending on your skin type, the severity of your rosacea, and what is causing your flare-up. In general, most flare-ups last anywhere from one day to several weeks. Visit your dermatologist if you experience a flare-up that you are unable to manage.
Can rosacea be cured?
Unfortunately, there is currently no known cure for rosacea, however, technology has allowed for many advances in the treatment of rosacea’s symptoms. This includes laser surgery to improve the look and feel of swollen facial blood vessels. For more information on the latest treatment options for rosacea, visit one of our skilled dermatologists in Florida for a full rosacea evaluation and personalized treatment recommendations.
If you are experiencing symptoms of rosacea, visit Keys Dermatology. Our providers are experienced, board-certified skin doctors and dermatologic surgeons who have been serving the Florida Keys community for over 25 years. Keys Dermatology offers rosacea treatment and cares for every individual patient with a personal touch. Visit our warm and welcoming office today or schedule an appointment by calling 305.664.8828 or fill out the form on this page.